Known as the “Brick Capital of the Nation,” settlement of the Ferris area began in the early 1870s. On September 28, 1874, a local family deeded approximately 100 acres of land to four trustees for the establishment of a town and railway station. Judge Justus Wesley Ferris of Waxahachie handled the transaction, and the community was named for him. Within ten years, Ferris had a population of 300 with a post office, gristmills, cotton gins, four churches, and a school.
The expansion of the Dallas Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and the construction of Interstate 45 aided the growth of Ferris in the latter half of the twentieth century. Although the number of businesses decreased during the 1980s, the population has continued to grow.